Find a Bird. Take Its Photo.
See If We Can Capture 100 Species Together in 1 Day!
On May 16th Bay Area Birders will come together to photograph as many birds as possible in what SFBBO is calling their first ever Bird Photo Big Day. Goal: Photos of over 100 species of Bay Area birds taken and identified in one day all as ONE team. We can do it!
This is a fundraiser for SFBBO so we are asking for a $20 donation to participate. Just a tax-free donation of $20 and you can be part of the team that works together to reach the 100 species goal. You can also pledge per species. Just let us know how much you want to pledge via the donation page, and then come back at the end of the day when we have the species tallied and donate.
Then head over to Facebook and join the group; that's where all the action is going to take place. Don't want to take photos but still want to participate? You can join in on the fun, too! We need folks to watch the number of photos grow during the day, identify bird species, and let the birders in the field know what bird species we are missing! If you aren't on Facebook, email your pictures to email@example.com or tag us on Twitter (@sfbbo) and we will post them for you. (see rules at bottom of page)
Prizes with be Awarded in the Following Categories:
- Best backyard photo of a bird
- Best photo of a bird eating
- Best photo of a bird in flight
- Funniest bird photo
- Best bird photo that tells a story
(see rules below)
All levels of birders and photographers are welcome! There are no bad pictures, especially of a species that we need to add to the count. You may be the only one to get a photo of a certain bird species that day! Once all the photos are uploaded, the organizers will tally the species and judges will vote on which photos will receive prizes. Prizes will be awarded throughout the week and winners announced on the Facebook group, on SFBBO's Twitter, and via email.
Thank you to SFBBO docents Bill Pelletier and Kitty O'Neil for organizing this event! Bill and Kitty met at a bird walk in 2016, began teaching advanced birding classes together, and have since gotten married. They are field trip leaders for SFBBO, the Santa Clara Valley Audubon Society, and Santa Clara Open Space Authority and their goal is to blend a wide variety of birding skills in a light-hearted and fun approach to birding.
- $20 suggested donation to participate.
- Birds first! Please practice mindful birding and avoid using audio playback.
- Birds must be living in the wild and unrestrained.
- Only photos taken in the 24 hours from midnight to 11:59pm on Saturday, May 16, 2020, will count.
- Photos must be uploaded to the Bird Photo Big Day Facebook Group, emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org, or tagged on Twitter (@sfbbo) by Sunday, May 17, 2020 at 11:59pm to be included in the count and compete for prizes. A donation is required to be eligible for prizes.
- Submission of images grants SFBBO rights to use the photographs.*
- Birds must be photographed in the San Francisco Bay Area.
- Please submit only 1 photo per species unless you are unsure of the species identification.
- Follow local laws and rules, including COVID-19 regulations, and please respect property rights.